This chicken Fricassee recipe uses lots of fresh herbs and vegetables making it one of the few dishes that have meat in it that we cook. I usually make it if we are having company. If you happen to have any left-overs it does freeze and reheat very well. Chicken Fricassee in Creamy Sauce with Fresh Vegetables is sure to become a family favorite.
- 2 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 lb. skin-on, bone-in chicken thighs
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp. butter
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 large carrot, peeled and chopped
- 1 celery stalk, chopped
- 8 oz. mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tbsp. all-purpose flour
- ½ c. white wine
- 2 c. low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 c. heavy cream
- 2 tbsp. freshly chopped parsley
- 1 tbs. fresh thyme leaves
- In a large high-sided skillet (a dutch oven is perfect) over medium heat, heat oil. Season chicken on both sides with salt and pepper then add to skillet and cook until golden, 5 minutes per side. Remove from skillet and set aside on a plate.
- In the same skillet add butter and melt then add onion, carrot, celery, and mushrooms and cook until soft, 5 minutes. Add flour and cook 1 minute. Pour in the wine and scrape up any bits on the bottom of the pan and reduce wine by half, 7 minutes.
- Add broth and cream and season with parsley, thyme, and salt and pepper. Add chicken back to pan and simmer until chicken is cooked through and sauce is thickened, 15 minutes.
- To brown the chicken on top and get the sauce even thicker slip your dutch oven into an oven at 350 degrees for about 15 minutes