- 2 pounds ripe tomatoes, cut into ¼- to ½-inch dice
- Kosher salt
- ½ large red onion, finely diced (about ¾ cup)
- 1-2 cloves of garlic minced
- 1 to 2 serrano or jalapeño chilies, finely diced (seeds and membranes removed for a milder salsa)
- ½ cup finely chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 tablespoon lime juice from 1 lime
- Season tomatoes with 1 teaspoon salt and toss to combine. Transfer to a fine-mesh strainer or colander set in a bowl and allow to drain for 20 to 30 minutes. Discard liquid.
- Combine drained tomatoes with onion, chilies, garlic, cilantro, and lime juice. Toss to combine and season to taste with salt. Pico de gallo can be stored for up to 3 days in a sealed container in the refrigerator.