Are you running out of ways to use your fresh tomatoes and basil? This Panzanella salad is the perfect way to take advantage of all the wonderful flavors that are at their peak right now.
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 3 ounces Italian bread, crusts trimmed, torn into ¼-inch pieces
- ¾ cup fresh corn kernels
- 4 large ripe heirloom tomatoes, cored and cut crosswise into ¼-inch-thick slices
- 1 cup small multicolored cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 ripe avocado chopped
- ⅛ teaspoon plus dash of kosher salt, divided
- ¾ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup baby spinach
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh chives
- ¼ cup thinly sliced basil leaves
HOW TO MAKE IT
- Melt butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add bread; sauté 5 minutes or until bread is toasted, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat; stir in corn.
- Sprinkle tomatoes with a dash of salt and ½ teaspoon pepper; let tomatoes stand 5 minutes.
- Combine remaining ⅛ teaspoon salt, remaining ¼ teaspoon pepper, vinegar, and oil in a large bowl.
- Add bread mixture and spinach; toss to coat.
- Combine mayonnaise, lemon juice, and chives in a small bowl.
- Arrange tomatoes and bread mixture on a large platter. Drizzle with mayonnaise mixture; sprinkle evenly with basil. Top with avocados.
What’s your favorite way to use an abundance of tomatoes, basil, or other fresh veggies?