I like my broccoli soup chunky so I don’t blend all of it. Leftovers freeze and reheat without any problems.
- 2 teaspoon olive oil
- ½ medium onion, finely chopped (about ¾ cup)
- 1 clove of garlic crushed
- 1 stalk celery, finely chopped
- 1 medium Yukon Gold potato, peeled and cubed
- 4 cups fresh broccoli, including stems, chopped
- 2 cups low-sodium, fat-free chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 ½ cups nonfat milk
- salt and pepper to taste
Heat oil on medium heat in a soup pot or Dutch oven. Gently sauté onion, garlic and celery for 3-4 minutes, until onion is softened. Add potato and chopped broccoli, followed by the broth and milk. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat, cover and simmer for 20 minutes, until vegetables are tender.
Allow soup to cool slightly, then transfer to a blender in 2-3 batches, and blend until smooth. Return soup to pot and heat gently until ready to serve.
Per Serving: Calories 88, Calories from Fat 16. Total Fat 1.8g (sat 0.3g), Cholesterol 1mg, Sodium 83mg, Carbohydrate 13g, Fiber 3.1g, Protein 4.9g