Authentic Chile Verde Soup Recipe
- 8 oz dry pinto beans (1 ¼ cups)
- 1 lb chicken breasts (2 cups cooked)
- 1 can (4 oz) chopped green chilies
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ¾ teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- ⅛ teaspoon ground cloves
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 cups of water
- 3 chicken bouillon cubes
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic (1 clove)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ⅔ cup finely chopped onion
- 1 cup grated Monterey Jack cheese*
- 1 dozen corn tortillas*
- 1 (11 oz) jar salsa
- Rinse pinto beans, soak them in cold water overnight, then drain.
- Cut chicken into 1” cubes; cook until no longer pink in a small amount of water.
- Combine the chicken with the chilies and seasonings; refrigerate until needed.
- At the same time, combine beans, water, bouillon cubes, garlic, salt, and onion in a large pot; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until beans are soft, about 1 hour. Add more water if necessary.
- Combine chicken and spices with beans; simmer 10 min more.
- Cool and freeze, in a 5 cup container, (or bag). Grate cheese put in a 1-quart bag and attach it to the freezer container with the chili.
- To serve Thaw chili and cheese. Simmer chili 30 min, stirring occasionally. Top chili with salsa and grated cheese; serve on warmed corn tortillas.
- Summary of processes: soak ½ lb pinto beans overnight: chop 2 cups cooked chicken; ⅔ cup chopped onion; grate 1 cup Monterey Jack cheese
- Freeze in: 5 cup container (or Ziploc bag) and 1-quart bag
Serve with: Fresh tortillas Makes 5 servings