- Cast iron comes seasoned and ready to use! Just give it a quick rinse and hand dry, and you’re ready to start cooking.
- Use any utensils you like, even metal. There is no chemical coating to damage.
- Cast iron can be used on all stovetops, from induction to electric to gas, even on the grill! It also works great on glass-top stoves.
- Cast iron performs best when heated and cooled gradually, so give it a few minutes to pre-heat before adding your food.
- Cast iron retains heat very well, so using a lower heat setting can prevent food from sticking. And don't forget to use a hot handle mitt!
- Wash cast iron by hand with a nylon bristle scrub brush. If needed, use a pan scraper for stuck-on bits. For extra sticky situations, simmer a little water for 1 minute, then use the scraper after cooling.
- Dry promptly and thoroughly with a lint-free cloth or paper towel.
- Rub with a very light layer of cooking oil or our Seasoning Spray, preferably while the cookware is still warm.
- Hang or store cookware in a dry place.
Occasionally, you may notice some dark residue on your paper towel or cloth when cleaning. This is perfectly safe -- it’s just the seasoning (the baked-on cooking oil) reacting to foods that may be slightly acidic or alkaline. It will disappear with regular use and care.
Soap isn’t always necessary, but a little mild detergent is fine if you like. Promise. Stay away from dishwashers and metal scouring pads, which can harm the seasoning.
- Seasoning is simply oil baked onto the iron, giving it a natural, easy-release finish.
- Lodge seasons all of its cookware with soy vegetable oil and nothing else.
- Any food-safe cooking oil/shortening will work for maintaining your cookware. We recommend vegetable oil or canola oil, like our Seasoning Spray.
- The best way to maintain the seasoning on your cast iron is to use it! Cooking in it regularly using any cooking oil is a great way to keep your pan looking and performing well.
- If your pan becomes dull, gray, splotchy, or rusty, it could probably benefit from re-seasoning. Just follow these easy steps: