This post may contain affiliate links, view my disclosure policy for details.
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 medium leeks, white and light green parts, halved and thinly sliced (see Tip)
- 1 cup coarsely chopped carrot
- 1 cup diced celery
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme
- 6 cups low-sodium chicken broth or stock
- 1 12-ounce bottle lager
- 8 cups thinly sliced green cabbage
- 3 cups diced red potatoes
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 cups chopped greens, such as chard or kale
- 12 ounces smoked bratwurst or kielbasa, cut into ½-inch rounds
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- Chopped fresh parsley for garnish
- Ground pepper to taste
- ½ cup reduced-fat sour cream
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add leeks, carrot, celery and thyme.
- Cover and cook, occasionally stirring, for 10 minutes.
- Add broth (or stock), lager, cabbage, potatoes and bay leaves; cover and bring to a boil.
- Uncover, reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Stir in greens and sausage and cook, occasionally stirring, until the potatoes are tender, 10 to 15 minutes more.
- Season with salt and pepper. Discard bay leaves.
- Ladle into bowls and top each with parsley, if desired.