How to Pickle and Can Any Type of Peppers. In the video, I’ll be using the Ball freshTech Automatic Home Canning System. The recipe is the same for water bath canning in a traditional water bath canner.
PREPARE YOUR PEPPERS
- Leave peppers whole or cut into ½-inch rings*. Discard stems and remove seeds, if desired. Combine peppers in a large glass or stainless steel bowl. Mix well and set aside. In the meantime, preheat your jars.
- Ccombine vinegar, water, and garlic in a large stainless steel saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat and boil gently for 5 minutes, until garlic flavor has infused the liquid. Discard garlic. Keep brine hot; do not boil down.
PRE-HEAT YOUR EMPTY JARS
- Remove Inner Pot from Appliance. Remove Rack; set aside. Fill Inner Pot with warm tap water to fill line. Return Inner Pot to Appliance. Place Rack back into Inner Pot. Place empty jars onto Rack in Inner Pot. Set preserving lids and bands aside in your workspace. Close and lock Appliance Lid.
- Press Pre-Heat button, then press Start. The red Pre-Heating light will illuminate, and the Appliance will begin pre-heating your jars. In the meantime, prepare your recipe. Jars will be pre-heated when the green Ready light is flashing. Keep jars in Appliance, with Lid closed and locked, until ready to fill with peppers.
PRESERVE YOUR PEPPERS
- Unlock and open Appliance Lid.
- Remove one hot jar. Close Lid, but do not lock, to keep remaining jars hot. Pack peppers into hot jar, leaving a generous ½-inch headspace. Ladle hot pickling liquid into jar to cover peppers, leaving ½-inch headspace. Remove air bubbles. Adjust headspace by adding hot pickling liquid. Wipe rim of the jar. Center new lid on jar. Twist on band until fingertip tight. Return filled jar onto Rack in Inner Pot.
- Repeat step 2 until all jars are filled with peppers and pickling liquid and returned to Inner Pot. Close and lock Lid.
- press pickles, then press Recipe 1. Press Start to begin preserving.
- The appliance will start sensing your recipe, indicated by the orange Sensing light. Then, the preserving phase will begin, indicated by the orange Preserving light. When your appliance beeps and the green Ready light is flashing, your pickled peppers have been successfully preserved! Press Stop. Unlock and open Lid.
- Remove jars from Inner Pot using jar lifter and place upright on a towel.
- Allow to cool, undisturbed, for 12 to 24 hours.
- Check lids for seal. Label and store your jars.
If you’re new to water bath canning be sure to check out Water Bath Canning 101: How to use a Water Bath Canner Safely
HOW TO PICKLE AND CAN ANY TYPE OF PEPPERS USING A TRADITIONAL WATER BATH CANNER.
Makes about 5 pints
YOU WILL NEED
- 3 lbs banana, jalapeno, or serrano peppers (or combination of these varieties)
- 6 cups vinegar (5% acidity)
- 2 cups water
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- Ball® Pickle Crisp (optional)
- LEAVE peppers whole or cut into 1-inch pieces. Mix peppers together if using multiple varieties.
- COMBINE vinegar, water, and garlic in a large saucepot. Bring mixture to a boil; reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes. Discard garlic.
- PACK peppers into hot jars, leaving ½ inch headspace. Add Ball® Pickle Crisp to each jar, if desired.
- LADLE hot liquid over peppers, leaving ½ inch headspace. Remove air bubbles.
- WIPE rim and adjust two-piece caps. Process 10 minutes in a boiling-water canner.
(Note: When cutting or seeding hot peppers, wear rubber gloves to prevent hands from being burned.)
If you have any questions about How to Pickle and Can Any Type of Peppers let me know in the comments section and I’ll be happy to answer them.