When I was little, we made cut-out cookies every Christmas. My mom was great about letting my brother and I do all the “work”. Added to those memories are making these cookies with children throughout their childhood. Now I can’t imagine not making cut-out cookies this time of the year. Next week I’ll be with my granddaughter. Hopefully, she and I will get a chance to make cookies together. If you’re looking for a great recipe that never fails, you’ll like this one for The Best Rolled Sugar cookies.
THE BEST ROLLED SUGAR COOKIE RECIPE
This dough is the perfect consistency for rolled-out cookies.
- 1 ½ cups butter, softened
- 2 cups white sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugar until smooth. Beat in eggs and vanilla. Stir in the flour, baking powder, and salt. Cover and chill dough for at least one hour (or overnight).
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Roll out dough on floured surface ¼ to ½ inch thick. Cut into shapes with any cookie cutter. Place cookies 1 inch apart on ungreased cookie sheets.
- Bake 6 to 8 minutes in preheated oven. Cool completely.
- Decorate with icing and sprinkles, or enjoy plain.
SUGAR COOKIE ICING
This icing dries firm and shiny
- 1 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 2 teaspoons milk
- 2 teaspoons light corn syrup
- ¼ teaspoon almond extract
- assorted food coloring
- In a small bowl, stir together confectioners’ sugar and milk until smooth. Beat in corn syrup and almond extract until the icing is smooth and glossy. If the icing is too thick, add more corn syrup.
- Divide into separate bowls, and add food colorings to desired intensity. Dip cookies or paint them with a brush.
Do you have Christmas or holiday traditions you carried over from childhood? I’d love to hear about them.
More Dessert Recipes
If you are looking for something chocolatey, then these Air Fryer Brownies are sure to hit the spot. If you are looking for a Christmas cookie with the flavor of cinnamon, then these cinnamon Christmas cookies are certain to be a winner!
- 3 Ingredient cookie dough
- EASY ALCOHOL-INFUSED KAHLUA BROWNIES
- THE BEST MARGARITA BARS RECIPE
- HOW TO MAKE ALCOHOL-INFUSED WHIPPED CREAM
- DELICIOUS VEGAN COFFEE CAKE RECIPE