This year when planning my garden, I decided that I wanted to plant a few extra plants in hopes of canning and freezing up some recipes. I haven’t had to buy canned tomatoes for several years, but I was still buying canned Rotel. In my mind, I was going to can up or freeze enough to get me through to next spring. In reality, I probably have enough to last until February or March, 24 jars and 3-quart size bags.
Homemade “Rotel” Tomatoes
- 12-14 cups peeled and chopped tomatoes (any variety) In this video I show how to peel tomatoes
- 3-4 Jalapeno peppers or other hot varieties of peppers, diced
- 3-4 Poblano or bell peppers chopped. I roasted and skinned mine.
- 2-3 cloves of Garlic (optional)
- 1 cup chopped onion (optional)
- Juice from 2 limes (optional)
- 1 tbsp. sea salt
- Place all ingredients in a medium-large saucepan.
- Simmer until mixture is reduced by half
1 cup is equal to about one 10 oz. store-bought can of Rotel. If you want to can this you will need to add lemon juice to your jars. The amount of lemon juice depends on the size of the jar. Processing time and temperature will depend on the type of canner you use.
Grilled Tequila Lime Shrimp Recipe and Video
- 1 pound large shrimp 26-30/pound thawed, peeled, with the tails on
- We like to use frozen because they are already cleaned and ready to go but fresh can be used just be sure to clean them!
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 tablespoons silver tequila
- Juice & zest of 2 limes
- 2 tablespoon honey
- 4 cloves garlic minced less if you don't like garlic
- 3 tablespoons cilantro chopped
- Pepper to taste I don't add salt since shrimp is salty enough
- Combine the marinade ingredients in a large Ziploc bag. Add the shrimp and toss gently to coat. Let sit for 30 minutes to 1 hour in the refrigerator
- Preheat BBQ/grill to high. Reduce heat to medium-high
- Thread the shrimp onto skewers or get a grilling basket warmed up and lightly oiled
- Grill the shrimp for about 4 minutes/side
- Don't over-cook or the shrimp will get a rubbery texture and you don't want that!