This year when planning my garden I decided that I wanted to plant a few extra plants in hopes of canning and freezing up some recipes. I haven’t had to buy canned tomatoes for several years but I was still buying canned Rotel. In my mind, I was going to can up or freeze enough to get me through to next spring. In reality, I probably have enough to last until February or March, 24 jars and 3-quart size bags.
Homemade “Rotel” Tomatoes
- 12-14 cups peeled and chopped tomatoes (any variety) In this video I show how to peel tomatoes
- 3-4 Jalapeno peppers or other hot variety or peppers, diced
- 3-4 Poblano or bell peppers chopped. I roasted and skinned mine.
- 2-3 cloves of Garlic (optional)
- 1 cup chopped onion (optional)
- Juice from 2 limes (optional)
- 1 tbsp. sea salt
- Place all ingredients in a medium-large saucepan.
- Simmer until mixture is reduced by half
1 cup is equal to about one 10 oz. store-bought can of Rotel. If you want to can this you will need to add lemon juice to your jars. The amount of lemon juice depends on the size of the jar. Processing time and temperature will depend on the type of canner you use.